BOSTON – The No. 11/9 Boston University men’s ice hockey team peppered Northeastern netminder Devon Levi with 41 shots, but he turned them all aside as the No. 18/16 Huskies escaped Agganis Arena with a 2-0 win on Friday night.
BU (6-4-0, 4-3-0 HE) outshot Northeastern (7-3-3, 6-3-2 HE), 41-26, including a 19-6 edge in the third period, but a Cam Lund’s goal with 8:54 remaining in regulation proved to be the difference. NU added an empty-netter in the final minute to end the Terriers’ comeback bid. Junior goaltender Drew Commesso was sharp for the Terriers, making 24 saves, including 20 over the first two periods to keep the Terriers in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Ethan Phillips made perhaps the save of the game with 11:15 left in the first period. A Northeastern shot snuck through Commesso’s pads, but Phillips dove for the crease and swiped the puck away before it crossed the goal line.
- The teams played an even second period, with BU outshooting the Huskies, 13-10, but unable to get one past Levi.
- In the third, it took a terrific wrist shot from Lund to beat Commesso and give NU the lead.
- The Terriers responded with several strong shifts to try and find an equalizer.
- Senior Wilmer Skoog almost set up classmate Matt Brown with a golden chance alone on Levi during a BU power play, but the puck never sat flat for Brown.
- Freshman Lane Hutson and junior Dylan Peterson both had strong drives to the net that forced Levi into important saves.
- The line of seniors Jamie Armstrongsenior Sam Stevens and freshman Devin Kaplan produced several good chances with about 5:00 to go, but Levi again stood tall.
- BU pulled Commesso in favor of an extra attacker with 2:03 to go, but the Huskies potted one into the empty net with 44 seconds to play.
- This is the Terriers’ first loss at home in regulation since Oct. 29, 2021, a 3-0 loss to UMass Lowell.
- Commesso has allowed just one even-strength goal or fewer in each of his last three starts.
- The Terriers generated 87 shot attempts to just 47 for Northeastern; the Huskies blocked 24 shots.
- BU blocked 13 shots in front of Commesso, led by sophomore Ty Gallagher’s four.
- This is the first time BU has been shut out in 364 days, as Levi made 38 saves in a 1-0 Northeastern overtime win at Agganis on Nov. 19, 2021
- BU and Northeastern will close out this weekend’s series on Saturday night at Matthews Arena, with puck drop scheduled for 7 pm