Like a lot of the remainder of the sphere, Chase Elliott was not in a position to keep away from calamity throughout Sunday’s Cup Sequence race on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway street course, however he stays atop NBC Sports activities NASCAR Energy Rankings getting into this weekend’s race at Michigan Worldwide Speedway.
The Rankings resisted the urge to charge the primary flip on the IMS street course as No. 1 this week. A harmful flip that tempted drivers to attempt to match eight vehicles into an area reserved for 2, it bought maybe extra publicity over the weekend than a lot of the driver grid.
Elliott completed sixteenth after a slightly adventurous day. He spun out twice and ran via the grassy a part of the course as soon as. He completed fifth in Stage 1 and fourth in Stage 2.
Sunday’s Michigan race (3 pm, ET) might be televised by the USA Community.
NBC Sports activities NASCAR Energy Rankings
1. Chase Elliott (Final week: No. 1) — Sunday’s race at Indy marked the primary time in six races that Elliott did not end both first or second. The rankings cannot punish him an excessive amount of for that.
2. Christopher Bell (Final week: No. 4) — A late-race flat tire robbed Bell of a greater end (he was twelfth) at Indianapolis. He has eight finishes of ninth or higher previously 12 races.
3. Ross Chastain (Final week: No. 3) — The excellent news is that Chastain was within the combine on the entrance late in Sunday’s race. The dangerous information is that he wandered off the primary race course to get there. A top-five end turned a Twenty seventh-place end with the penalty.
4. Kyle Larson (Final week: No. 2) — Larson sparked one of many season’s most dramatic accidents when an obvious mechanical subject led to him dashing into Flip 1 and into the facet of Ty Dillon’s automotive. Luckily, nobody was harm, however Larson and Dillon have been via racing for the day.
5. Tyler Reddick (Final week: No. 9) — Reddick leaps 4 spots within the rankings this week after a splendid victory run Sunday at Indianapolis. He appears increasingly more like a possible championship risk at the same time as a lame-duck driver.
6. Joey Logano (Final week: No. 8) — Logano completed sixth at Indy, snapping his streak of 4 straight finishes of twentieth or worse.
7. Ryan Blaney (Final week: No. 6) — Blaney was a sufferer of the loopy racing in Flip 1 Sunday and was fairly vocal about it within the race’s aftermath. He noticed a possible prime 5 flip right into a Twenty eighth-place end.
8. Kevin Harvick (Final week: No. 5) — Harvick drops three spots within the rankings after late-race distress at Indy. He completed thirty third.
9. Martin Truex Jr. (Final week: No. 7) — Truex is clinging to the ultimate Cup playoff spot after a Twenty first-place run at Indianapolis.
10. Kyle Busch (Final week: unranked) — Busch returns to the rankings after an Eleventh-place run at Indy, even because the drama surrounding his future continues to clean throughout the Cup storage space.
Dropped out: Daniel Suarez (No. 10 final week).
Learn extra about NASCAR
Dale Earnhardt Jr. will race at North Wilkesboro Speedway RCR tabs Austin Hill for Cup debut at Michigan Profitable methods have Richard Childress smiling once more
NASCAR Energy Rankings: Chase Elliott stays in first appeared on NBCSports.com